As the spouse of a service member in the Armed Forces, you may be eligible to receive tuition assistance (TA) to help you pursue your educational and career goals.

Military Spouse Scholarships

Military Spouse Scholarships

While spouses don’t receive the same assistance as their active duty service members, funds received by utilizing available programs are helpful in defraying the costs associated with obtaining a college degree.  When applying for assistance, make sure you know the qualification requirements, specific deadlines, and paperwork required.

In an effort to help military spouses and family members with their educational objectives, the Department of Defense offers these new programs:

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability – A special provision offers education benefits for spouses and children of service members and veterans.  Those who have served a minimum of six years in the armed forces, and agree to serve an additional four, can now transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse.  After 10 years of service, they can transfer the benefit to their spouse or children.  Click here to learn more about Post 9-11 GI Bill Transferability.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts – This military spouse career advancement account program provides assistance to spouses looking to acquire the skills and credentials needed to begin or further their careers.  It can be used to pay up to $3,000 in fees per year for training and education, and can be renewed for an additional year.

In addition to the above, The Department of Veteran Affairs has introduced the Spouse and Dependents’ Assistance (DEA) program which offers assistance for education and training to those who qualify.

Scholarships and Grants
– In the process of searching for assistance to help finance their schooling, many spouses and their families overlook the many military and veteran-related scholarships and grants that are out there. Many go unclaimed due to the following misconceptions:

–    Some believe that VA education benefits eliminate the need for any additional funds available though grants and scholarships.  The reality is that while Survivor and Dependent Education Assistance offers great benefits, it may not cover of all the costs.  There are hundreds of scholarships and grants designed especially for education-related expenses.
–    If you think that scholarships are just too hard to get and applying requires too much effort, think again.  The fact is that applications vary to a large degree, with some requiring nothing more than completing a short application.
–    Perhaps you are under the impression that scholarships are too difficult to find.  There is a fabulous online resource created to specifically to help service members find scholarships.  Visit the “Scholarship Finder” at

For questions and eligibility regarding tuition Assistance (TA), get in touch with your local relief agency.  Visit to learn more about Military Spouse Career Advancement Account.