Marine Corps

Marine Corps Family Education Programs

The Marines offers the following education Programs for its Spouse and Family members.

SOCMAR is the Servicemember’s Opportunity Colleges (SOC) degree program for the Marines.

  • SOCMAR consists of colleges that offer associate and bachelor’s degree programs on or accessible to Navy and Marine installations worldwide.
  • SOCMAR colleges form networks in which each college accepts credits from all the others.

SOCMAR guarantees that you and your adult family members can continue toward completion of your degrees even though the Marine Corps may transfer you several times. There are also degrees available by distance learning that require no classroom residency.

Visit the official SOCMAR website for more details.

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS)

The Admiral Mike Boorda Seaman-to-Admiral Educational Assistance Programoffers grants and/or interest-free loans of up to $2,000 a year to eligible active duty servicemembers accepted to the following programs:

  • Enlisted Commissioning Program
  • Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program
  • Medical Enlisted Commissioning Program

The program is also open to Midshipmen who have been released from active duty for immediate assignment to the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) Program. Application is made through the Commanding Officer of the NROTC Unit, or by contacting NMCRS Headquarters.

Visit the official Admiral Mike Boorda Scholarship Program website for more information.

Spouse Tuition Aid Program (STAP)

The Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) offers STAP to your spouse if you are an active duty servicemember stationed in an overseas (OCONUS) location. Your spouse may be a full or part-time student studying toward a vocational certificate or an undergraduate or graduate degree.

Amounts granted

  • Undergraduate level – maximum of $300 @ semester and $1500 @ year.
  • Graduate level – maximum of $350 @ semester and $1750 @ year.

To request an application form and information about deadlines, contact one of the following NMCRS offices: Guam, Guantanamo Bay, London, Naples, Okinawa, Roosevelt Roads, Rota, Sigonella, or Yokosuka.

Visit the official Spouse Tuition Aid Program website for more information.

VADM EP Travers Scholarship and Loan Program

To apply, you must be the spouse of an active duty member, or the dependent child of an active or retired member of the Navy or Marine Corps. You must be a full time undergraduate student at an accredited college or university.

  • 1000 grants are awarded each academic year at $2000 each.
  • Applicants are also evaluated for an interest-free student loan of up to $3000.
  • The loan repayment begins within 30 days of award and must be repaid by allotment within 24 months.
  • Application deadline is 1 March of each year.
  • Late applications will not be considered for the scholarship; however they will be evaluated for a loan.

Visit the official VADM E.P. Travers Scholarship and Loans website for more details.